|Drug and Cosmetic Act 1940& Rules 1945 (amended 2016)|
|Central Drugs Standard Control Organization|
|Bureau of India Standards|
|Main Supporting Rules|
|31 Mar 2013||Guidelines on Registration of Import of Cosmetics|
|15 May 2013||Classification of Cosmetic Raw Materials and Adjuncts Part1|
|15 May 2013||Classification of Cosmetic Raw Materials and Adjuncts Par2|
Under the provisions of Drugs and Cosmetics Act, 1940 and Rules made thereunder, the manufacture of cosmetics in India is regulated under a system of inspection and licensing by the State Drug Control Department while the import of cosmetics is regulated under a system of registration by the Central Drugs Standard Control Organization (CDSCO), who is the main authority to regulate activities relating to cosmetics and promulgate corresponding regulations.
Cosmetics that have been tested on animals are prohibited from import into India. Besides, cosmetics with Hexachlorophene, Lead or Arsenic compounds and mercury compounds are prohibited to be manufactured and imported.
|Drug and Cosmetic Act 1940& Rules 1945|
(amended up to Dec. 31st 2016)
|Overarching Regulations on manufacturing and importing, distribution and sale of cosmetics||2016-12-21||In Force|
|Guidelines on Registration of Import of Cosmetics||Guidance to instruct registration for cosmetics imported for sale||2013-3-31||In Force|
|Clarification for Import and Registration of Cosmetics||Explain details that are not clarified in "Guidelines"||2015-10-15||In Force|
|Classification of Cosmetic Raw Materials and Adjuncts Part1 & Part 2||Lists of ingredients which are prohibited and restricted in cosmetics||2017-3-1||In Force|
The organizations for Drugs Control exist at two levels: Central and State Government level.
The Central Drugs Standard Control Organization (CDSCO) is the main authority to regulate activities relating to cosmetics and promulgate corresponding regulations. Under CDSCO, the Central Drugs General (India) (DCGI) is established as the executive sector to deal with operations such as application for registration or license.
Exact functions of CDSCO include:
- Amendment of Drugs & Cosmetic Rules, 1945 with respect to registration of import of Cosmetic products.
- Scrutiny of applications relating to registration of cosmetic products for Import into the country as per the requirements of Drugs and Cosmetics Act 1940 and Rules made thereunder.
- Scrutiny of various applications for NOC /Clarification relating to import of cosmetic products.
- Preparation of draft replies to RTI, court cases, VIP references and Parliament Question related to cosmetics.
- Replying to Government correspondences/ BIS as and when required.
- Handling of PMOPGs/public enquiries/hearings related to cosmetic import registration process and providing guidance thereto.
- Handling of public/NGOs/Consumer forums complaints/grievances regarding standards of cosmetic products.