On May 26, China National Institutes for Food and Drug Control released 5 drafts about cosmetic testing methods for public consultation. The 5 drafts are:
- Guidance for Evaluation Method for Preservative Effect of Cosmetics
- Repeated Dose 28-Day Oral Toxicity Study
- Skin Photoallergy Test
- Testing Methods of Mustard and Cantharidin in Cosmetics
- Teratogenicity Test
The drafts clearly specify the procedures to conduct the tests and the specific testing methods.
The biggest significance of their release is that the first three drafts fill the gap that China lacks the testing methods and the other two standardize the testing methods and conform to the actual development of Chinese cosmetic industry.
Comments can be conveyed to the NIFDC before June 2nd.
- Although the “Repeated Dose 28-Day Oral Toxicity Study”, Teratogenicity Test and Skin Photoallergy Test are applicable to cosmetic finished products and cosmetic new ingredients as mentioned in the drafts, the three testing methods affect cosmetic new ingredients more in reality.
- Guidance for Evaluation Method for Preservative Effect of Cosmetics is referable for R&D of cosmetic companies.
- It remains to be seen whether those drafts will be added to Safety and Technical Standards for Cosmetics and enter into force simultaneously with STSC (on Dec 1st 2016).